As data is central to operational, tactical, and strategic initiatives, businesses are looking for better ways to manage their data. Many adopt storage as a service (STaaS) because it provides businesses with greater agility and speed. With STaaS, organizations can benefit from storage acceleration and scalability without the complexity of managing or maintaining physical storage systems.
Benefits of Storage as a Service
Storage as a Service offers many benefits to businesses including the following:
- Outsources the care of the back-end infrastructure to focus on their core business.
- Eliminates large upfront investments in hardware, software, and maintenance. Pay-per-use billing allows enterprises to pay for only the capacity they are using, instead of paying upfront for all the capacity they expect to need in the future.
- Reduces the risks associated with hardware failures and cyberattacks since the STaaS provider keeps storage systems up-to-date with software and firmware upgrades.
The Data Center Intelligence Group (DCIG) is Researching Storage as a Service
DCIG is currently researching enterprise storage as a service solutions. DCIG intends to publish one or more DCIG TOP 5 reports based on this STaaS research in the 2nd quarter of 2022. Once DCIG finalizes the results and publishes the report(s), DCIG will make the report(s) available for download with registration either on its website or through one of its trusted partner sites.
STaaS Inclusion Criteria
To qualify for inclusion in DCIG’s research, the STaaS solution must meet the following minimum criteria:
- The STaaS provider must manage the solution on-premises, to include:
- Upgrading storage software and firmware
- Monitoring storage system performance
- Acting on storage system alerts
- Managing hardware expansions and failed equipment replacement
- Maintaining adequate storage capacity and performance to meet service level agreements (SLAs)
- The solution provider MAY also offer the solution in public cloud environments, colocation facilities, and its own data center(s)
- The solution must be shipping and available by February 25, 2022
STaaS Solutions DCIG Identified in a Preliminary Scan of the Marketplace
DCIG has identified the following vendors as offering solutions that meet the DCIG Storage as a Service (STaaS) criteria:
- Hitachi Vantara
- Pure Storage
- VAST Data
DCIG is currently gathering data about available STaaS solutions via a 34-question survey. The vendors listed above have already received that survey. This survey is open and available to be completed until midnight on Wednesday, February 25, 2022.
How to be Included in DCIG’s STaaS Research
If your organization offers a solution that meets DCIG’s inclusion criteria, please let me know, and I will send a survey link to you. If needed, please feel free to contact me about your company’s solution through DCIG’s contacting us or requesting a briefing form. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to me.
Ken Clipperton | Lead Analyst, Storage
Data Center Intelligence Group
Keep Up to Date with DCIG
To be notified of new DCIG articles, reports, and webinars, sign up for DCIG’s free weekly Newsletter.
Technology providers interested in licensing DCIG TOP 5 reports or having DCIG produce custom reports, please contact DCIG for more information.