DCIG is pleased to announce the immediate availability of the 2021-22 DCIG TOP 5 Rising Vendors SDS Block Storage Solutions report. This report provides guidance on TOP 5 software-defined storage (SDS) providers organizations should consider for SDS block storage solutions.
Background: SDS Factors Driving Adoption
The growth of Software-defined Storage (SDS) is part of a broader transition to the software-defined data center, where infrastructure elements such as compute, storage, and networking are abstracted and virtualized. Increasing SDS capabilities, along with the demand for flexibility and agility, fuels SDS demand. Trending at a compound growth rate of 27%, the SDS market expects to grow $42.79 billion by 2024.1
Factors contributing to the growth of SDS include:
- Agility and optionality. Organizations can deploy and configure software-defined storage solutions where and how they want using their preferred server provider, which may differ from their preferred storage software vendor. Expanded deployment options open up within virtual and cloud platforms as SDS solutions free them from particular hardware vendors and infrastructures.
- Increasingly powerful hardware. Advances in underlying system hardware, including multicore CPUs, large amounts of RAM, flash memory, and fast networking, contribute to SDS growth. In many cases, these advances eliminate the need for specialized storage hardware, enabling ever-expanding storage capacity and consistent, low-latency performance.
- Hybrid cloud environments. Cloud adoption and in particular, the embrace of hybrid cloud models stimulates expansion of SDS. Storage vendors now offer their solutions as software on servers of the customerâ€™s choice and on public cloud platforms. They provide enterprise-class data services with performance characteristics businesses need for confidence to move their workloads to these platforms.
SDS for Block Storage
The traditional storage area network (SAN) appliance has long been the trusted, shared platform for an enterpriseâ€™s most valuable data. As SDS has moved mainstream, many enterprise storage vendors have made their solutions available as software-defined storage on-premises and in the cloud. Enterprises are comfortable extending trust to these SDS solutions for mission-critical workloads. In many cases, SDS solutions for hybrid cloud environments become a natural extension of the on-premise SAN. With these solutions, the tools and scripts to deploy and manage cloud data are the same as on-premise data management.
Rising Vendors SDS Block Storage Solutions
In preparing this report, DCIG evaluated fourteen SDS solutions supporting block storage protocols. The general categories under which these features fell included:
- Deployment capabilities
- Data protection
- Product and performance management
- Technical support
- Licensing and pricing
Based on these criteria, DCIG awarded the following rising vendors SDS block storage solutions a TOP 5 ranking (in alphabetical order):
- DataCore SANsymphony
- iXsystems TrueNAS
- Starwind Virtual SAN
- StorONE S1 Enterprise Storage Platform
- Zadara VPSA
The full DCIG TOP 5 report is available at no charge via the link below. The full report contains additional details such as:
- A listing of all fourteen solutions evaluated
- An overview of how hybrid cloud adoption is shaping SDS product capabilities
- Features shared by all TOP 5 solutions
- A deeper explanation on the key similarities and differences between the TOP 5 solutions
- A profile of each solution that highlights the ways each distinguishes itself from the other solutions
Confidentiality and Copyright
Other than excerpts from this report published in this announcement, the contents of the 2021-22 DCIG TOP 5 Rising Vendors SDS Block Storage Solutions report are copyrighted and may not be republished without permission.
DCIG invites interested parties to a webinar based on this report and hosted by StorONE titled “What’s Wrong with Software-Defined Storage?”™ on Wednesday, February 17th at 12 p.m. Central Time.Â DCIG and StorONE will discuss the state of the SDS market, how to decide if SDS is right for your organization, and what you should look for in an SDS solution. Webinar attendees will have first access to the full 2021-22 DCIG TOP 5 Rising Vendors SDS Block Storage Solutions report, which StorONE has licensed for distribution.
Click here to view the webinar (note the attachments tab where full report is available for download).
DCIG will release more TOP 5 reports in the weeks and months to come. Please sign up for the weekly DCIG Newsletter to receive notice of their availability.
Parties interested in licensing DCIG blog articles as executive white papers, please contact DCIG for more information.